Dog and Cat Rescue
Would you like to work with dog and animals to contribute to their health and future? Then you should volunteer on our 'Dog & Cat Rescue' project!
- Age requirement: 18+ years
- Working Schedule: 5-6 days a week for 6 – 8 hours a day
- Language requirement: It would be great if you speak some beginner or intermediate Spanish because the staff members of Green Life Volunteers speak and understand English, but the vet and (not all) locals of Costa Rica speak or understand English.
- Costs: A one week experience costs 449 USD, and add on 149 USD for each additional week.
- Accommodation: Host family
- Food: 3 meals daily
- Location: Puerto Jimenez, Osa Peninsula, Southern Costa Rica
- We provide: 24/7 emergency telephone support
- Optional: A letter of recommendation and certificate at the end of your volunteer time
- Groups are welcome to volunteer on the ‘Dog & Cat Rescue’ project.
Green Life Volunteers is trying to make a difference by helping the dogs and cats on the Osa Peninsula. There are a lot of mistreated and stray dogs and cats in this area. There is no rescue center or program in place currently on the entire Osa Peninsula, so dogs and cats rely on kind people who take them into their homes voluntarily. However, often these families want to find a new home for the rescued dog/cat since they already have enough pets, or just not enough space and money to maintain a pet.
Green Life Volunteers has established a dog and cat rescue program in the area in collaboration with the local vet clinic. We are hoping the project will help to prevent the growth of the stray dog and cat populations in the area, and stop the murder of unwanted baby cats and dogs. For this project you will have to be independent and flexible. The volunteers on this Costa Rica dog rescue project should have their own laptop and be passionate about dogs and/or cats. You should also speak beginner or intermediate Spanish.
Volunteer’s responsibilities include:
- Fundraising for dog and cat rescue
- Help take care of puppies, adult dogs, and kittens/ adult cats
- Feeding, cleaning cages, washing animals Help out at the local vet clinic
- Help out at Spaying/neutering clinics Help organize spaying and neutering clinics
- Promote our Adoptions Facebook page, post pictures, post updates
- Make videos for dog and cat rescue fundraising
- Make flyers and brochures for promotion and fundraising
- Take photos of dogs/ cats for adoption
- Talk to people who have dogs/cats for adoption and help find animals new homes
An ideal volunteer on this project has a passion for animals. You should have your own laptop that you can bring to Costa Rica to work on. It would be great if you have some knowledge of making simple (!) flyers with a computer. Facebook experience would be good also. You do not need a degree for this project. You should be 18 years of age or older.
The dog and cat rescue project is located in Puerto Jimenez on the Osa Peninsula.
The costs for this project are:
- First week’s fee: $ 449
- Every Additional Week: $ 149 (It does not matter many weeks you choose, this fee stays the same)
Not included in our costs:
- National and International flights
- Travel insurance
- Visa costs
- Additional travel
- Any additional food or snacks besides the host family meals
- Other personal expenses
This is the GLV Handbook for the Dog and Cat Rescue Project contains much more detailed info on everything you need to know!
To view our handbook in your browser, click on the PDF symbol:
To download and save our handbook on your computer, please click the link below:
Reviews of the Dog and Cat Rescue Project
Stephanie - Age: 22 - Nationality: USA - Project: Dog & Cat Rescue project - Length: 3 months Stephanie's review taken from Abroad Reviews: In Spring 2014, I knew I wanted to go to Costa Rica to volunteer for that summer. I didn't know where to start, and some...
Projects: Turtle Conservation & Dog/Cat Rescue. Age: 19. Country: Germany Valentina's Review: I have spent four months in Costa Rica and got to know five different volunteer jobs. My longest stay was with the organization GreenLifeVolunteers. I have first spent a...
Volunteer: Sara. Country: Finnland. Age: 29. Project: Dog Rescue in Puerto Jimenez. Duration: 4 weeks. I immediately felt welcomed by GLV, after my first email was answered within hours. This first impression proved right. From when I first began planning my trip to...