Would you be interested in establishing an environmental education program in local elementary schools in Costa Rica? Are you passionate about nature and like teaching kids? Than you should volunteer on our 'Environmental Education' project!
- Age requirement: 18+ years
- Working Schedule: The work schedule for this project depends on the needs of the project. You will need to be flexible. There is a lot of independent work asked from the volunteers, which can be done on your own time. Other days there might be visits to schools and special workshops where you’re asked to work more hours.
- Language requirement: Good level of Spanish – You’re working with school kids who may not speak English! Some staff on the project may speak English.
- Costs: A one week experience starts from 499 $US, for each additional week add on 149 $US per week.
- Duration project: Minimum time commitment 2 weeks
- Accommodation: Host family
- Food: 2-3 meals daily
- Location: Puerto Jimenez, Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
- We provide: 24/7 emergency telephone support
- Optional: A letter of recommendation and certificate at the end of your volunteer time
Green Life Volunteers wants to make a difference with the ‘Environmental Education’ project because there is no environmental education in place for many public elementary schools in Costa Rica. GLV works together with several other NGOs to bring environmental education to the schools around the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. It is important for kids to understand the value of the environment and that it is important to protect species. This will influence them for the future, and make them be more conscious about their surroundings, the animals, and nature.
You will be responsible for creating an entirely new curriculum every months, and plan for lessons and activities. Ideally you would be spending a few weeks on this project, since it will take a little to get your work settled, and then to actually teach the classes and do the activities (together with other volunteers and NGO leaders). The established curriculum and activities can then be used for many different schools in the area, and you would be basically visiting various different schools for the duration of your volunteer time. You may also change locations and host family and apply the curriculum and activities at other schools.
The schools we’re currently helping are rural remote schools around the Osa Peninsula. We help around 4 – 5 schools and visit them 1 – 2 times a month with different activities each time.
Another important aspect of the Environmental Education project is Theater play. We create and run theater and puppet shows to teach kids about the environment and important issues of today!
We also do a lot of fundraising in the Education program as well, to help fund school visits, purchase materials for the activities, and other general costs to help the project. The fundraising will also be a part of your activities as a volunteer.
Volunteer’s responsibilities include:
- Help create a curriculum, games, and activities for an environmental education program for elementary schools
- Work closely with teachers and local NGOs to find out needs and lacks of environmental education in the area
- Think about activities and classroom exercises to make environmental education fun and interesting for kids
- Plan excursions to environmental facilities in the area
- Help plan fundraising events and actively participate in fundraisers
- Teach the established curriculum to children in the schools (in Spanish)
For the ‘Environmental Education’ project, you should be creative, pro-active, and have lots of energy. Furthermore, Also you should be highly motivated and independent individual that is happy to work alone. The ideal volunteer on this project has a background in environmental / biology related fields OR in education. You should have a general passion for teaching and the environment/nature/animals. It would be great if you have environmental education experience, but it is not necessary.
The environmental education project is based out of Puerto Jimenez on the Osa Peninsula. During the project you’ll work with rural schools all around the Osa Peninsula. Your host family however, is based in Puerto Jimenez.
The costs for this project are:
- First week’s fee: $ 449
- Every Additional Week: $ 149 (It does not matter many weeks you choose, this fee stays the same)
Not included in our costs:
- National and International flights
- Travel insurance
- Visa costs
- Additional travel
- Any additional food or snacks besides the host family meals
- Other personal expenses
This is the GLV Handbook for the Environmental Education Project. This will give you DETAILED info on everything you would need and want to know regarding the project. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact us!
To view our handbook in your browser, click on the PDF symbol:
To download and save our handbook on your computer, please click the link below: