Would you like to work in a wildlife Sanctuary? And do you have a passion for wild animals and exotic nature? Then you should volunteer on our ‘Wildlife Sanctuary’ project!
- Age requirement: 18+ years
- Working Schedule: 5 days a week for 7 hours a day
- Language requirement: You do not have to speak Spanish because the project supervisor, volunteers and other staff members speak and understand English
- Costs: A one week experience starts from 499 USD, for each additional week add on another 199 USD per week
- Duration project: Minimum of one week
- Accommodation: Volunteer house next to the wildlife sanctuary
- Food: Three meals a day
- Location: Dominical on the Puntarenas, Costa Rica
- 24/7 emergency telephone support
- Optional: A letter of recommendation and certificate at the end of your volunteer time
As a volunteer on this project will help in the wildlife sanctuary with the animal care, rehabilitation, rescue and release of animals. The sanctuary has already over 125 wild and exotic animals in residence, a full time veterinary staff and a newly built emergency animal clinic. The sanctuary would like to expand the clinic because they are not able to give complete emergency care to some animals and they need to transport them to the nearest hospital. This can take hours and is very stressful for the animals. Also, the wildlife sanctuary believes in the education of the local people and future generations about the wild life of Costa Rica. The mission of the wildlife sanctuary is to give the animals time to heal form their injuries and when they are ready, they will be placed back in the wild. Some of the animals will be in the sanctuary for their entire life because they would not survive or they are too domestic. The wildlife sanctuary wants to provide the quality of life to the resident animals. The animals you have to work with may be sloths, raccoons, squirrels, macaws, parrots, anteaters, different kind of raptors, different kind of monkeys, toucans, and many more animals. The wildlife sanctuary receive their donations partly from the entree fee of visitors. The visitors can also buy hats, water bottles, t-shirts and other promotion material of the sanctuary during their visits. Therefore, it is very important the sanctuary is an attractive place to go as a visitor. You can help the sanctuary with their daily routine. Green Life Volunteers wants to help the wild and exotic animals of Costa Rica with the ‘Wildlife Sanctuary’ project.
Volunteers’ responsibilities include:
- Preparing specific food mixtures for the animals
- Providing food, water and other nutrients to the animals
- Assist in the general maintenance and cleaning the enclosures, etc.
- Various maintenance work for the facility in general
- Giving tours to the visitors
- Becoming an animal handler
An ideal volunteer on the ‘Wildlife Sanctuary’ project has a passion for wild and exotic animals and their exotic nature. Also, the volunteer has to enjoy physical labor and being outside. You do not need a degree for this project. You can volunteer on this project if you are 18+ years old.
The wildlife rescue center is located in between Dominical and Uvita, on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. To head to Dominical, it’s only a few kilometers. You can catch a local bus that goes there several times a day.
The Pacific coast is one of the most beautiful areas of Costa Rica.. high mountains meet the sea and ocean. You’re located on top of a mountain, right next to the beach, overlooking the entire coast line – stunning views all around!
There are plenty of activities to do around Dominical and Uvita.
The costs for this project are:
- First week’s fee: $ 549
- Every Additional Week: $ 219 (It does not matter many weeks you choose, this fee stays the same)
Not included in our costs:
- National and International flights
- Travel insurance
- Visa costs
- Additional travel
- Any additional food or snacks besides the host family meals
- Other personal expenses
This is the GLV Handbook for the Wildlife Sanctuary. This will give you DETAILED info on everything you would need and want to know regarding the project. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact us!
To view our handbook in your browser, click on the PDF symbol:
To download and save our handbook on your computer, please click the link below: