Would you like to work on a Costa Rican farm? And are you interested in sustainability and organic food? Then you should volunteer on our ‘Organic Farming’ project!
- Age requirement: 16+ years
- Working Schedule: 5-6 days a week for 6-8 hours a day
- Language requirement: Basic to intermediate level of Spanish would be an advantage because the local Costa Rican farmers may not speak English.
- Costs: A one week experience starts from 499 USD, for each additional week add on another 179 USD per week
- Accommodation: Host family / family of the farm
- Food: Three fresh organic meals daily
- Location: Osa Peninsula, Southern Costa Rica
- We offer: 24/7 emergency telephone support
- Optional: A letter of recommendation and certificate at the end of your volunteer time
As a volunteer on this project will help to produce more sustainable and organic products in Costa Rica. Unfortunately, chemical pesticides and fertilizers are still used in extremely high amounts in Costa Rica. There is not really a market for organic produce, and only very few independent farmers try to go more sustainable and organic. Those who do, do not really receive any extra benefits or support. So Green Life Volunteers’ is trying to support them with man-power and your eagerness to work!
Green Life Volunteers works with several amazing local farms in Costa Rica. Costa Rica is extremely rich in biodiversity, and is thus even more vulnerable to environmental hazards, such as pesticides. A lot of farms in the area trying to go the sustainable and organic route, and they are already using good practices. Some farms may grow mainly vegetables and fruits, others coffee and sugar cane, and some farms are producing dairy products. Green Life Volunteers hope the ‘Organic Farming’ project will engage more and more farmers to switch to organic and sustainable practices in Costa Rica.
Volunteer’s responsibilities include:
- Learn about farming practices in Costa Rica
- Help to plant, maintain and harvest crops (depending on the season)
- Help to maintain the farm, cleaning, and attending to the animals
- Help milk cows and make cheese
- Helping with the horses and other farm animals
- Harvest and produce chocolate
- Work on the medicinal herb garden
- Help with meal preparations together with you farmer family
- Be proactive and contribute your own ideas to make agricultural processes more sustainable and organic.
An ideal volunteer on this project has a passion for the environment and agriculture. Also, the volunteer has to enjoy physical labor and being outside. Volunteers need to be flexible and proactive who do not mind to get their hands dirty and put their own ideas into practice. You do not need a degree for this project. You can volunteer on this project if you are 16+ years old. If you are younger than 18 years old, you need to send us a signed parental authorization form.
Our organic farm that we support is located in the pure jungle of the Osa Peninsula, around 40km South from Puerto Jimenez, before Carate (which is the entrance to Corcovado National Park). Puerto Jimenez has all amenities such as supermarkets, banks, ATMs, clinics, dentists, pharmacies, bars and restaurants. You will be starting from Puerto Jimenez before you head to the farm – so you can get anything you need then.
While you’re at the farm however, you’re cut off from society and live very remote and rural! Note there is very little cell phone signal and no internet available. Electricity is available through solar energy.
The farm is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience as you would never have stayed in such a pristine and remote jungle. Pumas, jaguars, monkeys, tapirs, and many other animals live right around the farm.
The costs for this project are:
- First week’s fee: $ 499
- Every Additional Week: $179 (It does not matter many weeks you choose, this fee stays the same)
Not included in our costs:
- National and International flights
- Travel insurance
- Visa costs
- Additional travel
- Any additional food or snacks besides the host family meals
- Other personal expenses
- First and last night in a hostel in San Jose
- Transport to and from the airport (around 30$ for an airport shuttle to the hostel)
- Transport to the Project location (local buses that cost around from 9-16$ one way)
This is the GLV Handbook for the Organic Farming Project. This will give you DETAILED info on everything you would need and want to know regarding the project. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact us!
To view our handbook in your browser, click on the PDF symbol:
To download and save our handbook on your computer, please click the link below:
Organic Farming Reviews
Hailie – Age: 28, Nationality: USA, Projects: Organic Farming & Turtle Conservation Hailie’s Review (taken from Abroad Reviews): Janina is a very helpful and passionate program coordinator. Upon my arrival to Puerto Jimenez, she took me around the town...