Bird Conservation ProjectWould you like to help a Bird Conservation NGO on the Osa Peninsula with their research and education all around the topic of exotic birds? Then you should volunteer on our Bird Conservation project!
- Age requirement: 18+ years
- Dates: This project depends on availability. Please inquire upon sign up.
- Working Schedule: 5 days a week for 6 – 8 hours a day
- Language requirement: You must speak English and a basic level of Spanish would be an advantage, but it is not necessary.
- Costs: A one week experience costs 499 $US, and add on 219 $US for each additional week.
- Accommodation: Host family
- Food: 3 meals daily
- Location: Puerto Jimenez, Osa Peninsula, Southern Costa Rica
- We provide: 24/7 emergency telephone support
- Optional: A letter of recommendation and certificate at the end of your volunteer time
As a volunteer on this project you will help the bird conservation project with the ongoing research on birds, you’ll help educate children and adults about birds and their protection, and you’ll help plan activities and events around bird conservation. A lot of work is also based from the office and you’ll be required to have your own laptop and help with website content, facebook and social media posting, data entry and analysis, and fundraising activities. During your volunteer time you will also learn more about the different species and also will learn how to identify birds in Costa Rica.
The activities at the bird conservation project change from year to year and depend on the season of your volunteer time. If you would like to know the specific tasks for your volunteer time, you need to contact Green Life Volunteers, and we’ll be able to let you know what the project needs help with during the time you’d like to help out.
- Collect and process data
- Planting native plants for the birds
- Teach schoolchildren more about birds
- Update and maintain social media and the website
- Working with GPS devices
- Field work – counting and identifying birds
- Help with fundraising activities
- Collaborate with local business and non-governmental organizations
The costs for this project are:
- First week’s fee: $US 400
- Every Additional Week: $US 219 (It does not matter many weeks you choose, this fee stays the same)
FEES EXPLAINED: Our organizational fee of around $ 249 is included in the first week’s fee and covers the “behind the scenes costs”, such as staff salaries, office space rental, transaction and bank fees, and more. Our weekly fee for additional weeks covers the costs of your host family or project accommodation and food, the local staff on your project, and a donation to help with the daily running costs of the program you will help on.
NOT INCLUDED IN THE FEE: First and last night in San Jose in a hostel, travel to and from the international airport (airport shuttles are around 30$ each way to San Jose – We can set this up for you, just ask us during sign-up), travel to the project site (usually by public buses, which are from around 10-16$ one way), national/ International flights, travel insurance, visa costs, any additional food or snacks besides the host family meals, extra-curricular activities.
This is the GLV Handbook for the Bird Conservation Project. This will give you DETAILED info on everything you would need and want to know regarding the project. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact us!
To view our handbook in your browser, click on the PDF symbol:
To download and save our handbook on your computer, please click the link below:
Reviews for Bird Conservation
Harry, Bird Conservation volunteer. Aged 34 at time of project This was the first volunteering project I worked on overseas and Green life volunteers proved to be a good choice. I decided for the Bird Conservation project, which is run by Osa Birds: Research and...